Freaked out as you growing out of your favorite shoe?
Imagine you were always at size 5 but during and after your baby is born, you feet are now one size bigger. Some woman claims it does makes them feel like staring at Ronald McDonald feet whenever they stare at her shoe. Some face their feet grown a size bigger for each pregnancy. Few decided to say goodbye to their heels or boots caused by the outgrown size. Some shrink back to normal size after postpartum.
Means, not only belly is getting bigger but your feet also tend to expend gradually especially when you are entering the second trimester and it will continue until the end of the pregnancy. Usually the swelling subsides after the confinement period or within a month after delivery but it might be permanent yet it does not happen to everyone.
Feet expand happens for few reasons:
( Tend to subsides )
Excessive weight gain during pregnancy
- Causing a layer of fat added to your feet
- Causes more strain and stress on the feet which cause the joints to widen
- Weight flatten the arches and adding to foot’s length and width
- Caused by fluid retention in the body
( Tend to be either permanent or temporary )
Pregnancy hormone called Relaxin
- The main purpose is it loosen the joints around the pelvis so baby can make his way the birth canal
- And the loosen includes the ligaments in the foot, causing the 26 foot bones loose their arch slightly and to spread
- Even though your weight and edema has reduced, but the effect from Relaxin we might stuck with a bigger size foot forever.
Few ways you can reduce your chances that your feet will get bigger:
Wear supportive shoes
Buy a comfortable, roomy shoe to support your arches during the pregnancy. A tight shoe can cause more foot problems :
- Painful foot – weaken the muscles in the ball of the foot and the ligaments that hold the toes straight
- Ingrown toenails
- Corns caused by pressure from the shoe
- Bunions (protrusions at the base of the big toe that grow larger when rubbed by the shoe)
Don’t cut down your fluid intake
- Drinking 8 glasses of water of 8oz actually reduce edema
Avoid excessive weight gain
- Eat healthy diet
- Try to stay within the recommended weight gain range for your body type
To ease the swelling
- Soak your feet in cool water and prop them often
- Elevating your legs whenever possible to bring excess fluid up from the feet and legs
- Wear supporting hose. Socks or stocking to help control lower extremity swelling
- Wear supportive insoles especially those with flat feet
- Do foot muscle exercise to strengthen muscles that support your foot
Studies shows that changes in feet size during pregnancy explain why women, in comparison with men, are at higher risk for pain or arthritis in their feet, knees, hips and spine. A flattened foot is a reason for knee problem as it strain the ligaments in the foot sole and changes in gait straining the knee.
This is one of the pregnancy side effect that i don’t really pay much attention to compare to those permanent such as stretch marks or saggy breasts. By the way, its a great excuse to buy new shoes.
How about you, did your feet get bigger after any of your pregnancies? Mine did.
** These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease